Why You Should Consider Adding Solar Power to Your Home or Business
- Save on Your Energy Bill
- APS calculates that if your energy bill is $267 per month, a solar system will save you over $109,898 over the life of your system (25 years)
- As energy costs continue to rise, that savings might even increase.
- See cost savings right away – your APS bill will go down an estimated 90%.
- $5K a year estimated savings
- The Federal Tax Incentives
- allows you to reduce income taxes owed by up to 26% of the total cost of a solar system installation.
- Applies to both businesses (Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC)) and households (residential renewable energy tax credit)
- If your rooftop solar system costs $30,000, you could reduce your income tax bill by 26% of that, or $7,800
- It is possible to carry the unused amount to the subsequent tax year, but after two years any remaining credit you’ve earned goes away (fixed income, retirees)
- Take Advantage Now…
- These credits are currently set to phase out over the course of the next few years. The tax credit will step down to 26% in 2020, then 22% in 2021, then remain permanent at 10% for commercial projects (while the residential credit will phase out). Now is the time to act!
- 59% compound annual solar growth since they were enacted.
- Bonus depreciation allows businesses to claim 100% of the cost of their solar system as a business expense in the first year after installation, instead of spreading out the cost over 5 years or more with normal depreciation rules.
- Because businesses generally prefer to claim their tax savings as soon as possible, this is expected to further incentivize solar.
- Arizona State Solar Incentives
- Residential Solar Energy Credit up to 25% the cost of the system ($1,000 max)
- Sales Tax Exemptions Solar system sales tax exemption (100% on eligible products
- Property Tax Exemptions on added home value from solar system
- Environmental Impacts
- Reduce emissions 9.04 metric tons per year
- Equivalent to planting 63 trees
- Equivalent to driving 22,041 less miles a year
Call Mike Powers at D&H Electric 928-726-5671 for all your solar needs!
Are Smart Thermostats Worth it?
Should you get a smart thermostat? Smart appliances are all the rage with people turning to technology to give them the ability to program their appliances using their phone. Wouldn’t it be cool to program your thermostat without getting out of bed or while you are out of town? With a smart thermostat, you could do that!
How does a smart thermostat work?
A smart thermostat replaces your traditional thermostat. Using your phone, tablet, or computer, you can program your thermostat settings at or away from your home. This allows you to turn your thermostat up or down or turn off/on your heating/cooling system via an app.
Can a smart thermostat save me money?
Yes! Although they require an initial investment, properly programming them can save you some cash. These thermostats can detect patterns of occupation and set your thermostat accordingly. Why heat or cool an unoccupied house? The thermostat can even be set to run right before you come home so that when you arrive your home is the appropriate temperature. According to APS, you can save as much as 15% in energy costs using a smart thermostat. That means you can save $360 a year if your electricity costs are $200 a month! In addition, APS will send you a $30.00 rebate when you properly install, register, and program a smart thermostat in your home.
What does it take to start using a smart thermostat?
You need to do a few things first. First, make sure your HVAC and heating system are compatible. Many of the smart thermostat manufacturers like ecobee and Nest have online compatibility checks so you can see if it works with your system before you buy. Second, you need to download and familiarize yourself with the app and be able to connect the thermostat to your Wi-Fi. Last (but most importantly) make sure the thermostat is installed correctly. If you would like D&H Electric to do the installation to ensure it is done correctly give us a call at (928) 726-5671! We’d be happy to help!
So, are they worth it?
Yes! We think if installed and used correctly you could save some serious cash with a smart thermometer (especially in the summer months). Once it’s installed, all you have to do is make sure you keep up with the programming. Think about how much money you could save after a few years!
Maybe you could do that LED landscaping project you always wanted to do with the money you’ll save! Thanks for reading and remember to use D&H Electric for all your electrical needs!
5 Signs You Need to Call an Electrician
Sometimes minor problems are a telltale sign of an underlying electrical problem at your home or business. Here are 5 signs that you need to call an electrician.
- My outlet is not working – there are many reasons why an outlet might not work. The outlet could have bad connections/wiring or simply be old. If the outlet is hot with use, looks burned, or is shocking you this is a potential safety hazard and you should call an electrician as soon as possible! This is unsafe!
- My light switch/appliance is not working – this could be a bad circuit, a bad switch, or aged wiring. Either way, it is best to deal with this issue because not only is it a hassle but it could be the sign of a more serious underlying problem. Switches that are warm or buzz when in use are the signs of a serious problem and you should have an electrician come ASAP!
- My breaker keeps tripping – While an occasional trip of your breaker might be common especially with appliances such as a hairdryer if your breaker keeps tripping this could be the sign of an electrical problem in your home. You may have an overloaded circuit or problems with the wiring. Either way, you should call an electrician who can inspect your home’s wiring and suggest possible solutions.
- My lights are flickering and/or making a buzzing noise – these symptoms may indicate an overloaded circuit or an electrical short in your home. Either way, it’s time to get a licensed professional in your home to diagnose and solve the problem.
- Electrical burning smell – if this is occurring in your home it is time to call an emergency electrician ASAP! DO NOT WAIT, this is a serious fire risk.
If you are having any of these issues at your home or business please give D&H Electric a call at 928-726-5621. Independently owned and operated, we have been serving Yuma and the surrounding area for over 40 years.
Electrical Jokes That Are Actually Funny
While we take our service of Yuma County seriously, we are also known to have some fun. We think one of the reasons we were lucky enough to win Yuma’s Best Electrical services back to back is the relationships we build with our customers. Our electricians and support staff are warm and friendly, and take pride in what they do!
Here are some favorite our favorite electrician jokes. Some of them may be a little corny, but sometimes those are the best ones! Hope these jokes can brighten your day! If you have a favorite one or one you think we should add to our joke list, tell us on Facebook.
Q: What is an electrician’s favorite ice cream flavor?
Q: Why did Mr. Ohm marry Mrs. Ohm?
A: Because he couldn’t resistor!
Q: What’s grey, crispy and hangs from the ceiling?
A: An amateur electrician.
Q: Why did the lights go out?
A: Because they liked each other
Q: Why do fluorescent lights hum?
A. Because they can’t remember the words.
Q: How many electricians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: One, just hold the bulb up and the whole world revolves around him.
Q: Why can’t there be an LED beauty pageant?
A: Because the winner would be Miss LED!
I finally managed to get rid of that nasty electrical charge I’ve been carrying. I’m ex-static!
My cheap neighbor doesn’t want to pay for an electrician to re-wire his house so he’s going to try and do it himself.
“How hard can it be?” he said. I think he’s in for a shock.
Why You Should Always Use Licensed Electricians
A licensed electrician will ensure the work done is carried out safely and meets the relevant safety standards. Using a licensed electrician reduces the risk of fire, electric shock or any other electric incidents occurring in your home. This means you and your family can rest easy knowing you are protected.
Malfunction or electrical failures are some of the major reasons as to why there are fires in homes. These unexpected disasters ultimately kill as much as 500 people in the United States and cause even more injuries and millions of dollars in property damage every year. Having a certified electrician can help you prevent such catastrophic events.
Bad wiring is ugly, dangerous, and could actually cost you more in the long run. Use D&H Electric and get the best!
If you are thinking about having some renovations done to your building to improve its function and appeal, don’t forget to have the electrical wiring updated by a commercial electrician as well. Many employers forget to do so only to end up experiencing electrical problems with their facilities later on. To avoid the need for electrical renovations, later on, get them done by a bonded and insured commercial electrician while your renovations are going on. It’ll be cheaper that way because there are fewer walls and structures to maneuver through.
Don’t take chances with your building electrical wiring. Even the smallest electrical nuances can turn into major repair hazards for your workers. Bear in mind that it is your responsibility as an employer to provide your workers with a safe and hazard-free work environment. If you fail in duties to keep your building safe, you could end up dealing with workers’ compensation claims, litigation, and other inconveniences that may hurt your profits and reputation.
D&H Electric employs quality licensed electricians and fully guarantees their work. They are bonded and insured in both Arizona and California and have won Yuma’s Best Electrical Services back to back (2016, 2017, 2018). When you choose D&H Electric, you choose to go with the best. Give us a call at 928-726-5671 today!