Looking to save some money on your electric bill? Well, we here are D&H Electric are here for you! Below are some tips to save you some serious green!
- Adjust your water heater. Your water heater accounts for 12% of your utility bill. For every 10 degrees, you reduce the temperature of your water heater, you can save 3-5% on your water heating costs. That means if you lower your water heater to 120 degrees, you could save up to 10% on your water heating costs!
- Use LED bulbs. LED light bulbs use up to 90% LESS energy than incandescent bulbs. LED light bulbs can also last between 30-50 times longer than a conventional light bulb. Replace your most commonly used bulbs and see some serious savings on your electrical bill!
- Ditch or upgrade that second fridge. 1 in 3 Americans has a second fridge. Of those homes, about half have a second fridge that is over 20 years old. These elderly fridges are huge energy hogs, costing you hundreds of dollars in energy costs!In the last 20 years, refrigerator manufacturers have made massive strides. A modern fridge will cost $215 – $270 less per year on your energy bill than an older one. These fridges may cost even more if in a garage in the hot desert heat! If you must have a second refrigerator, buy a newer one and you will save more money in the long run!
- Disconnect those energy vampires. While you might think you are saving electricity by putting your devices on standby, those devices are still sucking energy and money! According to the US Department of Energy, leaving your gadgets on standby accounts for 10% or more of your total electric bill. Turn off your devices (laptops, computers, receivers, streaming devices) when not in use and unplug that phone charger when you aren’t using it to save some serious cash on your electric bill!
- Turn off lights and use dimmer switches. Lighting accounts for 14% of the average American electric bill. Turn off your lights when not in use or install a dimmer so you can control for the right amount of light you would like to use (which will reduce electricity). Not sure how to install a dimmer switch? Call D&H Electric at (928)726-5671 and we can help!
Thanks for reading, and make sure to contact D&H Electric (928) 726-5671 for all your electrical needs!
LED lights are a game changer. Recently, Walmart announced that they saved over 100 million in energy costs by converting to LED lighting in their stores and parking lots. Obviously, energy savings is one of the largest appeals of LED lighting. However, LED (which stands for light emitting diodes) lighting is also brighter, more energy efficient, and the bulbs last longer!
So what are some ways that LED lighting could benefit your business?
- Lower Costs – LED lighting can save you up to 70% on your energy bill. With energy prices rising and expected to rise in the future, this is a major appeal of LED lighting. This means that converting to LED lighting will usually pay for itself in less than 3 years . Over the life of your business, return on investment can be 12-15 times the cost of installation! In addition, the longer life of the fixture/bulb also means no maintenance cost and because the fixtures/bulbs are more energy efficient LED lighting can also reduce your HVAC costs!
- LED Lights provide superior light – Our before and after video speaks for itself. LED lights provide superior and uniform light. They look better, and the bulbs don’t suffer from the same issues that legacy lighting has (dark spots, burnt out bulbs, etc.). Unlike other lighting systems, LEDs do not require warm-up time and are instant on/off. They also perform better in extreme temperatures, something you want to have in the desert!
- LED Lights can keep your employees and customers safe – LED lighting in a workspace is brighter and provides uniform color and better contrasts. In some fields, those subtle differences can reduce accidents and workplace injury. When we talk about outside lighting, the superior and brighter light can reduce property vandalism and crime as the brightness can deter criminal activity. A criminal’s friend is darkness, and LED lights will eliminate the dark spots in parking lots and behind buildings where criminals lurk.
- LED Lights allow you to focus on your business – Our lights and our work come with a 5-year warranty and guarantee. With the LED lights rated between 50,000 and 100,000 hours, you won’t be replacing fixtures/bulbs anytime soon. After 5 years, your LED lights will be operating at 90% illumination – those with HID or fluorescents will have changed their bulbs many times over. Your business will look better, your costs will be lower, and your employees and customers will be safer. With all these benefits, you will have more time to focus on your business.
Interested in LED lights? D&H Electric can’t wait to tailor a unique setup for your business. Give us a call at 928-726-5671 today! Talk with you soon!
Companies updating lighting technology benefit through cost savings and rebates
Per a US Department of Energy report, the amount of LED installations increased over 400% from 2014-2016 (215 million units – 874 million units). Despite these overwhelming numbers, the US Department of Energy stated that only 12.6% of business light fixtures used LED lights in 2016.
Another report by the Department of Energy outlined what businesses stood to gain from retrofitting their light fixtures to LED systems. Their list included:
1) An Enormous Cost Savings over Time
2) Improved Light Quality
3) More Reliable and Efficent Lighting
4) Cheaper Replacement Costs and Often Initial Cost Than Old Style Lighting
5) Better Positioning of USA-based Industries That Produce High End LED Lighting
So how has this played out in Yuma?
Local businesses in Yuma are saving money by retrofitting the light fixtures in their offices, warehouses, and retail stores. “Retrofitting” means adding new technology or feature to an existing system. Updating fluorescent ballasts and bulbs, for example, can increase the efficiency of existing fluorescent lights and result in both cost savings and energy bill rebates.
Give us a call at 928-726-5671. Mike Powers, our energy efficiency manager, is an industry-leading expert in LED retrofitting and design. Yuma businesses will be amazed by the savings! He’s a big reason why we’ve been voted Yuma’s Best Electricians 3 Years running!
Great looking landscape light design can increase the value of your home by enhancing its curb appeal and security. Various studies and reports have put this increase anywhere from 7-28% over homes without good landscaping or lighting. It has been proven that well-landscaped and properly lit homes also tend to be on the market for a shorter period of time.
The National Homebuyer’s Association consistently shows outdoor lighting at the top of its list of “most desirable features.” In fact, most of the homeowners surveyed consider outdoor lighting “desirable,” and a majority of those consider it “essential.”
You want a more sustainable property.
LED light sources are gaining in popularity due to the growing energy conservation movement. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, no other lighting technology offers as much potential to save energy and enhance the quality of building environments. LED lights provide environmentally friendly fixtures which consume less energy. This means lower energy bills, less time spent changing halogen bulbs, and less waste.
Not only does the energy savings mentioned above make LEDs more sustainable, but so does their ability to emit less heat which helps with longer lifespan, reducing the need for maintenance and replacements.
The benefits of LED landscape lighting:
- Pure, beautiful, consistent light enhances your landscape’s natural colors.
- Uses 75% less energy than halogen for long-term cost savings.
- No light bulbs to buy or replace.
- Environmentally friendly design means less energy waste and no bulbs to throw away.
- Fixtures are tested to withstand the elements for years of enjoyment.
Are you interested in adding LED landscape lighting to your home? Call D&H Electric at 928-726-5671 today!
Our new website is finally up. We’ve worked hard to get a beautiful new site ready and we’re proud to show it off. Thanks for reading our blog. We have lots of great blog posts in the works. Please check back or contact us now to find out how we can help you.