Should you get a smart thermostat? Smart appliances are all the rage with people turning to technology to give them the ability to program their appliances using their phone. Wouldn’t it be cool to program your thermostat without getting out of bed or while you are out of town? With a smart thermostat, you could do that!
How does a smart thermostat work?
A smart thermostat replaces your traditional thermostat. Using your phone, tablet, or computer, you can program your thermostat settings at or away from your home. This allows you to turn your thermostat up or down or turn off/on your heating/cooling system via an app.
Can a smart thermostat save me money?
Yes! Although they require an initial investment, properly programming them can save you some cash. These thermostats can detect patterns of occupation and set your thermostat accordingly. Why heat or cool an unoccupied house? The thermostat can even be set to run right before you come home so that when you arrive your home is the appropriate temperature. According to APS, you can save as much as 15% in energy costs using a smart thermostat. That means you can save $360 a year if your electricity costs are $200 a month! In addition, APS will send you a $30.00 rebate when you properly install, register, and program a smart thermostat in your home.
What does it take to start using a smart thermostat?
You need to do a few things first. First, make sure your HVAC and heating system are compatible. Many of the smart thermostat manufacturers like ecobee and Nest have online compatibility checks so you can see if it works with your system before you buy. Second, you need to download and familiarize yourself with the app and be able to connect the thermostat to your Wi-Fi. Last (but most importantly) make sure the thermostat is installed correctly. If you would like D&H Electric to do the installation to ensure it is done correctly give us a call at (928) 726-5671! We’d be happy to help!
So, are they worth it?
Yes! We think if installed and used correctly you could save some serious cash with a smart thermometer (especially in the summer months). Once it’s installed, all you have to do is make sure you keep up with the programming. Think about how much money you could save after a few years!
Maybe you could do that LED landscaping project you always wanted to do with the money you’ll save! Thanks for reading and remember to use D&H Electric for all your electrical needs!
Sometimes minor problems are a telltale sign of an underlying electrical problem at your home or business. Here are 5 signs that you need to call an electrician.
- My outlet is not working – there are many reasons why an outlet might not work. The outlet could have bad connections/wiring or simply be old. If the outlet is hot with use, looks burned, or is shocking you this is a potential safety hazard and you should call an electrician as soon as possible! This is unsafe!
- My light switch/appliance is not working – this could be a bad circuit, a bad switch, or aged wiring. Either way, it is best to deal with this issue because not only is it a hassle but it could be the sign of a more serious underlying problem. Switches that are warm or buzz when in use are the signs of a serious problem and you should have an electrician come ASAP!
- My breaker keeps tripping – While an occasional trip of your breaker might be common especially with appliances such as a hairdryer if your breaker keeps tripping this could be the sign of an electrical problem in your home. You may have an overloaded circuit or problems with the wiring. Either way, you should call an electrician who can inspect your home’s wiring and suggest possible solutions.
- My lights are flickering and/or making a buzzing noise – these symptoms may indicate an overloaded circuit or an electrical short in your home. Either way, it’s time to get a licensed professional in your home to diagnose and solve the problem.
- Electrical burning smell – if this is occurring in your home it is time to call an emergency electrician ASAP! DO NOT WAIT, this is a serious fire risk.
If you are having any of these issues at your home or business please give D&H Electric a call at 928-726-5621. Independently owned and operated, we have been serving Yuma and the surrounding area for over 40 years.
While we take our service of Yuma County seriously, we are also known to have some fun. We think one of the reasons we were lucky enough to win Yuma’s Best Electrical services back to back is the relationships we build with our customers. Our electricians and support staff are warm and friendly, and take pride in what they do!
Here are some favorite our favorite electrician jokes. Some of them may be a little corny, but sometimes those are the best ones! Hope these jokes can brighten your day! If you have a favorite one or one you think we should add to our joke list, tell us on Facebook.
Q: What is an electrician’s favorite ice cream flavor?
Q: Why did Mr. Ohm marry Mrs. Ohm?
A: Because he couldn’t resistor!
Q: What’s grey, crispy and hangs from the ceiling?
A: An amateur electrician.
Q: Why did the lights go out?
A: Because they liked each other
Q: Why do fluorescent lights hum?
A. Because they can’t remember the words.
Q: How many electricians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: One, just hold the bulb up and the whole world revolves around him.
Q: Why can’t there be an LED beauty pageant?
A: Because the winner would be Miss LED!
I finally managed to get rid of that nasty electrical charge I’ve been carrying. I’m ex-static!
My cheap neighbor doesn’t want to pay for an electrician to re-wire his house so he’s going to try and do it himself.
“How hard can it be?” he said. I think he’s in for a shock.
A licensed electrician will ensure the work done is carried out safely and meets the relevant safety standards. Using a licensed electrician reduces the risk of fire, electric shock or any other electric incidents occurring in your home. This means you and your family can rest easy knowing you are protected.
Malfunction or electrical failures are some of the major reasons as to why there are fires in homes. These unexpected disasters ultimately kill as much as 500 people in the United States and cause even more injuries and millions of dollars in property damage every year. Having a certified electrician can help you prevent such catastrophic events.
Bad wiring is ugly, dangerous, and could actually cost you more in the long run. Use D&H Electric and get the best!
If you are thinking about having some renovations done to your building to improve its function and appeal, don’t forget to have the electrical wiring updated by a commercial electrician as well. Many employers forget to do so only to end up experiencing electrical problems with their facilities later on. To avoid the need for electrical renovations, later on, get them done by a bonded and insured commercial electrician while your renovations are going on. It’ll be cheaper that way because there are fewer walls and structures to maneuver through.
Don’t take chances with your building electrical wiring. Even the smallest electrical nuances can turn into major repair hazards for your workers. Bear in mind that it is your responsibility as an employer to provide your workers with a safe and hazard-free work environment. If you fail in duties to keep your building safe, you could end up dealing with workers’ compensation claims, litigation, and other inconveniences that may hurt your profits and reputation.
D&H Electric employs quality licensed electricians and fully guarantees their work. They are bonded and insured in both Arizona and California and have won Yuma’s Best Electrical Services back to back (2016, 2017, 2018). When you choose D&H Electric, you choose to go with the best. Give us a call at 928-726-5671 today!
Looking to save some money on your electric bill? Well, we here are D&H Electric are here for you! Below are some tips to save you some serious green!
- Adjust your water heater. Your water heater accounts for 12% of your utility bill. For every 10 degrees, you reduce the temperature of your water heater, you can save 3-5% on your water heating costs. That means if you lower your water heater to 120 degrees, you could save up to 10% on your water heating costs!
- Use LED bulbs. LED light bulbs use up to 90% LESS energy than incandescent bulbs. LED light bulbs can also last between 30-50 times longer than a conventional light bulb. Replace your most commonly used bulbs and see some serious savings on your electrical bill!
- Ditch or upgrade that second fridge. 1 in 3 Americans has a second fridge. Of those homes, about half have a second fridge that is over 20 years old. These elderly fridges are huge energy hogs, costing you hundreds of dollars in energy costs!In the last 20 years, refrigerator manufacturers have made massive strides. A modern fridge will cost $215 – $270 less per year on your energy bill than an older one. These fridges may cost even more if in a garage in the hot desert heat! If you must have a second refrigerator, buy a newer one and you will save more money in the long run!
- Disconnect those energy vampires. While you might think you are saving electricity by putting your devices on standby, those devices are still sucking energy and money! According to the US Department of Energy, leaving your gadgets on standby accounts for 10% or more of your total electric bill. Turn off your devices (laptops, computers, receivers, streaming devices) when not in use and unplug that phone charger when you aren’t using it to save some serious cash on your electric bill!
- Turn off lights and use dimmer switches. Lighting accounts for 14% of the average American electric bill. Turn off your lights when not in use or install a dimmer so you can control for the right amount of light you would like to use (which will reduce electricity). Not sure how to install a dimmer switch? Call D&H Electric at (928)726-5671 and we can help!
Thanks for reading, and make sure to contact D&H Electric (928) 726-5671 for all your electrical needs!